Thursday, September 26, 2013

Preparing for Sin City

Couldn't be more excited for the Otto Family Vacation 2013. I have been blessed to be in a family that took family vacations every year of my short childhood. But as you grow and children become adults, the responsibilities of work and school tend to take precedent over family vacation. After over two years of surviving the responsibilities of "real life", our schedules have finally synced and the Otto family (all 4 of us!!) are now on vacation in Vegas.

In preparation for our Las Vegas trip there was one necessity... MY NAILS!! Special occasions call for special measures and special nails. I saw a nail design on Pinterest that was silver, black and had different crystals on their nails, but I thought for Vegas I wanted more of a regal look and gold screams regal! If you are in the Houston/Cypress area and want amazing nails and a relaxing experience go to Serene Nails in Cypress, Texas and ask for Amber!


Next thing to do is of course Create a Plan. Its a four day (extended weekend) vacation so planning is key. The problem with planning this vacation is two things. First, my family is full of non-planners, go with the flow, whatever happens happens people, how I ended up being the planner of every second of every day especially on trips is a phenomenon to me. Second, we have a few extended family members joining us at times and you have to be conscious of what to schedule that would accommodate all people.

One thing I have learned with all of my travels is although I believe 100% in having a plan beforehand, I also believe 100% in being prepared for plans to change and being happy with whatever may come. Things never always go perfectly as planned and that is okay, sometimes the universe has something even better planned then anything we could ever imagine! You want to have a plan so you are not running around like a chicken with its head cut off, you go with the flow but you end up getting home and saying things like "I wish I would have went to that show while I was there" or "I didn't know that was going on while I was there". Be informed, make a list of ideas, interests, and activities and create a plan of when you think which event will fit in what day and time of your trip. I made a rough draft plan for my family and so far it has worked wonders!

For our show tickets: We bought our Cirque du Soleil Michael Jackson ONE tickets a couple days before leaving for Vegas and picked our tickets up at will call, as far as the other shows we are seeing we waited to get them in Vegas in case we could get better deals through our hotel. So far it has worked out great. We got rid of some ideas and implemented others but so far so good!

After making a plan, comes packing!!! I packed a checked luggage with all my necessities, outfits, shoes, and jewelry I needed for the whole four days. But what I really wanted to emphasize is what I think is essential to pack in your carry-on. This is the lightest I have ever packed my carry on and I will continue to do it every time I travel from hear on!!!
First, pick a backpack or purse that is large enough for your essentials but not too big you want to fit it under the seat in front of you. If you chose a purse make sure it zips all the way shut, it is a security measure to make sure nothing is falling out of your carry-on. I chose one of my Mary Kay leopard print bags for this trip.

Second, what are my necessities for carry-on traveling...
Always make sure you have your boarding pass, passport/drivers license, cell phone, tablet and money/wallet (cash and cards).




Magazines are key! I normally pick my top two but I had to include the Halloween themed magazine to get a head start for the coming holiday. Depending on your magazine preferences will clearly determine your magazine picks but mine were O: The Oprah Magazine (Love it! This issue is about overcoming your fear and anxiety), Better Homes and Gardens Special Interest Publication for Halloween (Has fantastic ideas for Halloween themed cooking, decorating, costumes and spectacular parties!), and finally Lucky with the beautiful Eva Mendes on the cover.



                                                           

I am a big reader!! Traveling whether by airplane, car, bus, train, etc. is an opportune time to get some reading done, so I am never without a book in hand. I am currently reading The Mortal Instruments series and have just started the City of Glass book.
What is an airplane ride without a crossword puzzle, word search, or sudoku puzzle book? Currently I am in love with sudoku puzzles but wow do they stump me sometimes. I think I am in love with the challenge.
My mother laughed when she saw my Italian phrasebook packed. She gave me one of the most honored compliment, she admired my love of always wanting to progress and better myself! Implement one word at a time, then move to sentences, then conversations and before you know it you will have mastered a language. But as with anything, practice makes perfect!


Finally, the last touches! Water and snacks bought after going through security for the plane ride (especially when you are traveling during a main meal time). Prescription glasses and sunglasses are a must when you want to see everything with perfect clarity. And finally lip balm, hand sanitizer and headphones cover your physical and mental health items for the trip.

I am no traveling expert but I wanted to share what I packed in my carry-on because it was the most rewarding and relaxing experience I have had with packing these essentials. I encourage each of you when traveling pack simple and choose your necessities you can't live without but don't overdue it.

Well I am prepped, planned and packed! 

We are off see you when we get back from the beautiful Las Vegas! 
Have a great week everyone!





No comments:

Post a Comment