Sunday, September 22, 2013

Making The Shift

Since my specific trial and journey is weight loss and a shift in outlook and attitude at the moment the article my mom encouraged me to read was called Making the Shift by Tory Johnson in the October Issue of the Good Housekeeping Magazine. The article is excerpted from, The Shift: How I Finally Lost Weight and Discovered a Happier Life by Tory Johnson ( Link to Shift with Tory website, also includes links to purchase her book). Tory is from Good Morning America, her job becomes jeopardized as her weight became an issue, and her journey to becoming a 62 pounds lighter.


Now I know what you are thinking... NOT another article about how a well known individual lost their weight, another diet, another solution that worked for them but clearly has had no impact on my life. Well this article is quite a bit different. It isn't focused on working out more, doing different exercises or eating this and not eating that, because let's face it eat a balanced, healthy diet, work out a minimum solid 30 minutes a day, burn more calories than you consume and you will lose weight (it will take time!! but you will lose it and keep it off!) This article is really about making the SHIFT! 

What is The Shift??
It is a shift in mindset, in outlook and in choices. Your way of thinking and living completely shifts like the 180 I described in my first blog. 
"I made a psychological shift. I was ready to stop playing games with myself."

This whole article is phenomenal and I encourage everyone, even if you are not going through a weightloss battle, READ THIS. It can apply anywhere in your life no matter what you are working on!

"My whole life, I've rotated through fad diets and seesawed between denial and acceptance, and now I feel the seeds of an unfamiliar emotion, at least when it comes to weight loss: determination." This sums up my thoughts completely!!! I have gone from diet to diet, I have tried Weight Watchers (lost 20 pounds the first time, over 10 the second, gained it all back plus some), Quick Weight Loss (didn't try it long enough to see lasting results), Trainer at a small gym (quit that after a month), and others I can barely remember. Through all of this I have learned its not the program I decide to do but the mindset I have finally decided to have that will make all the difference. In my life with trying to lose weight I have felt desperation, shame, victorious, and failure but never determination. But this time is different. This time I feel unimaginable determination and this time I am going to do it!

"It is no longer about what I would like to eat- it's about choosing something I want more: to lose weight." Of course I want those chicken tenders, pizza, bread sticks, french fries, etc. but is fulfilling my temporary want going to help me reach my ultimate goal: NO! So which am I going to choose: unhealthy but delicious food or a fit body and confident attitude? Temporary happiness or a happiness hard earned and everlasting? Well the old me of course would have chosen the unhealthy, delicious food to satisfy my temporary wants but the new and determined me is seeking an eternal victory and happiness. 

Her Shift Wisdom #1: "What I put in my head is far more important than what I put in my mouth." I am taking her advice from "The Cleanout" section of the article, I will soon be gutting my families kitchen and organize it to perfection for all my health needs. Yes it is good to resist unwanted food but why torture yourself by having it constantly in your face. "I need a fresh start of a clear kitchen filled only with things that support my quest."

Two months later she was down 11 pounds and not a single person acknowledged her victory because well you can't really tell. (So far I have lost 13 pounds and of course my friends and family are super nice saying how great I am looking but lets be honest I still have a long way to go!) Finally a guy she works with is getting ready for her on air segment and compliments her on losing weight, she is beaming with confidence, Whether it is a 5, 10, 50 or 100 pounds lost, compliments go farther than imaginable because its not the success you are applauding but the hard work and fight they gave you are validating was all worth it. 

Shift Wisdom #2: "Food is fuel; it does not have to be amazing, entertaining, or exciting. Each meal does not have to like a trip to the county fair or a fantasy segment of Top Chef." For some odd reason we think that everything we put in our mouths should create fireworks with our taste buds. But in all reality food has its purposes and though we should treat ourselves to fireworks every once and a while, especially on special occasions, it shouldn't be a daily experience. 

Later in her journey she was asked by a friend what her secret was. Tory said that she will be "disappointed to learn that I have no big secret, just a lot of discipline and hard work." Her friend wants to lose weight but she admits there are things she is just not willing to give up. You have to choose: preference or priority. "You can't begin this journey until you're ready- really ready." Of course you can go from diet to diet, but until you are really ready your journey of true weight loss will never truly begin. 

Shift Wisdom #3: "What the shift will do for your waistline is nothing compared to what it will do for your confidence and self-esteem." This couldn't be more true. The better you look, the better you feel. If you are working hard for a body to be proud of there is no way the confidence and self-esteem won't come naturally along with it. I can't wait to get there. I have already lost an inch in my waist and I know when that time comes to try on clothes and find out I am sizes smaller, it will be impossible to walk out of there without a permanent smile for days.

A year later she steps on the scale to see her official weight loss. She has lost a total of 62 pounds. "It hasn't always been easy saying no to my favorite foods, but it's all been doable." This journey will never be easy, no dream is, but it is all doable if you are determined.

Shift Wisdom #4: "Stop putting a number on your weekly goal. Trust that this will take time." Before this shift, I was all about what would help me lose the most weight the fastest. Now I am in it for the long haul. I have a total of 100 pounds to lose and I realize this journey is going to take quite a bit of time but I know every day will be worth it.


Summing it up:
Are you ready to make the shift? Before starting your journey ask yourself 4 key things:
1. How fed up am I, really?- When you're at the point where the pain of the present outweighs the sacrifice change demands, you're really ready.
2. What am I willing to give up?- Many people promise to stick to a plan, then cheat at every turn. For the shift to work for you, you must accept it as an all-or-nothing deal.
3. What's my plan?- There's no winging it when you're serious about making a significant shift in your life. You need to spell out clear, concise rules for yourself to eliminate ambiguity.
4. What's my accountability?- It's easy to fool yourself into thinking you're on the straight and narrow when you're not. Daily weigh-ins are my reality check. Establish a system that works for you. It could be changes in clothing size or keeping a photo of the original you at hand. 


So are you ready to make the shift?? I want to challenge everyone no matter what you are working on, make the shift or get to a point where you can. Get to a point where you have no complaints, no excuses, no regrets and no more wasted time. Get to a point you are proud to be at. I am not saying wait till you finally accomplish your goal, get there now while you are working towards your goal. It's going to take me time to accomplish my goal but I realized there is no reason why I can't and shouldn't make my psychological shift to a better, positive and more determined self. I can't remember how many times I have told myself "I will reward myself with _____, when I am finally ________." Yes have goals, create deadlines, but reward yourself along the way with living a positive life full of opportunities, reward yourself with things that are ultimately getting you closer to that end result. Take chances, live life to the fullest, and never let what you want today get in the way of what you want most!


So who's joining me in making the shift?? Let's get started on our journey!







2 comments:

  1. After 2 years of attending to other things......I think its time that I joined you in making the shift. My excuses are many but really. How many more times to I have to be embarrassed about the weight I have gained to realize that its not just going to melt away? I think I have a harder road though. I don't drink sodas, eat out or buy processed food. I cook almost everything from scratch! I just eat too much of it and don't exercise. I truly do eat healthy foods........just too much food and not enough exercise and way too many cookies and brownies that I make FOR MY KIDS THAT I EAT THE REST OF WHILE THEY ARE AT SCHOOL. There. I figured it out. The source of the weight gain. My cooking and baking talents betray me. Time to learn to make things without sugar. sigh.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so glad you are joining me on Making the Shift!! That is wonderful that you don't drink sodas, eat out or buy any processed foods, honestly you are off to a fantastic start!! It is good you see where your weaknesses are and what areas you can work on. I have had to do the same in my life, and I have the same problem with the quantity of food I eat and snacking!! And yes our talents can get us, I absolutely love to bake but I haven't in months because of that very issue (I have heard applesauce is a good substitute but I have never tried it). But my couple of recommendations that I have been trying out, 1. Plan ahead and stick to your plan (especially for snacking) and 2. Make healthy food more visible than unhealthy food, like in your kitchen and cupboards the less healthy food at bottom shelves or behind the healthier food that way if you are really hungry from maybe running around all day, get in your kitchen and grab the first thing you see (some grapes, carrots, etc.). This has helped me immensely especially when unexpected things mess up my plan!

      But I am so excited you are Making the Shift with me and can not wait to hear how it goes!!

      Delete